Thursday, December 8, 2011

Ibn 'Umar's Vision of Hell

 

Ibn 'Umar's Vision of Hell

  al-Bukhaari and Muslim report that Ibn 'Umar said, "I saw in a
dream that two angels came to me. Each of them was holding a whip of iron
in his hand. Then I met (another) angel who was also holding a whip of
iron in his hand. They said, "Do not worry, you are a good man; we just
wish that you prayed more at night". They took me to the edge of Hell,
which looked like a well with horns: between every two horns stood an
angel holding a whip of iron. I saw men hanging upside-down, held with
chains, and I recognised some men of Quraysh. Then they led me away,
towards the right. I told Hafsah about my dream, and she told the
Messenger of Allah (saw) who said, "Abdullaah is a righteous man".

(at-Takhweef min an-Naar, p.51)
 

 

Does Anybody See Hell in Reality Before the Day of
Resurrection?

  We
know that our Prophet (saw) saw Hell, just as he saw Paradise during his
lifetime. al-Bukhaari and Muslim report from 'Abdullaah ibn 'Abbaas that
the Prophet (saw) said concerning Salaat al-Khusf (eclipse prayer):

 


"I saw Paradise and I reached out to take a bunch of its
fruits. If I had managed to do so you would have eaten from it until the
end of time. And I saw Hell, and I have never seen anything more
terrifying. I saw that most of its inhabitants are women"
.
(Mishkaat al-Masabeeh, 1/480)


Imaam Ahmad reports from al-Mugheerah ibn Shu'bah that the
Messenger of Allah (saw) said:


"Hell was brought so close to me that I tried to blow its
heat away from my face. I saw there the man with the stick with the
crooked end, and one who had tended al-Baheerah (a she-camel let loose for
pasture for idols, upon which nothing was allowed to be carried), and the
man of Humayr and the woman who had imprisoned the cat"
. (Saheeh
al-Jaami', 2/181 #1968)


Muslim reports from Jaabir (ra) that the Prophet (saw)
said:


"Paradise and Hell were shown to me. Paradise was brought
close to me, so that I tried to take fruit from it but I could not reach
it. Hell was shown to me, and was brought so close that I stepped back for
fear that it would touch me. I saw a Humayr woman who was tall and black,
being punished on account of a cat that she owned: she had tied it up, not
giving it anything to eat or drink, or allowing it to eat of the vermin of
the earth. I also saw Abu Thumaamah 'Umar ibn Maalik being dragged by his
trachea through Hell".
(Saheeh al-Jaami', 2/298, #2394)


After people die they are shown, in al-Barzakh (the period
between death and Judgement) their position in Paradise (if they are
believers) or Hell (If they are disbelievers).

 

No comments: